Friday, August 8, 2014

My Recent Obsession: Lesson Study

I have recently become obsessed with lesson study.  I think it came from the NY Times article  Why Do Americans Stink at Math by Elizabeth Green and a few follow up articles that were shared with me via Twitter.  I'd read about lesson study and been interested in it before, so this really just resparked my interest.

I was tweeting and thinking about it and found this resource from UK Lesson Study:  Lesson Study Handbook.  It gave me a basic idea of how a lesson study works.  After reading through the basic points of lesson study, I am not surprised that it is successful, as it really allows teachers to collaborate and support each other in a way that I have been strongly needing ever since I started teaching.

So I've been thinking about lesson study.  I think I'm going to have to put it out of my mind for a bit as the beginning of the year is coming, but I would really like to do some sort of lesson study this year.  It looks like as long as I could get two other people to do it with me it would be productive.  So the big question is, do I need admin support too (if the other two need to be in my district)?  Or could it be almost exclusively completed via technology?  Would watching a video of the lesson be equivalent to being there when the lesson was taught?

Those are the things I'm grappling with right now.  What are your thoughts on lesson study?  Would you be willing to try it?  Do you think an online version would work?

-Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment