Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Perspectives

When I decided I wanted to become a math teacher, I had a certain perspective of what math education looked like and what it involved from teachers, students, parents, and administration.  Throughout my years in college, I continued to have a very similar perspective.  Maybe a few of my ideas were challenged, but my overall perspective of mathematics education was the same.

Then I became a teacher.  I became a teacher in a specific school, to a specific group of students, working with specific coworkers.  Some of my views were challenged in a way that allowed me to actually wrestle with the ideas.  I began the slow process of changing my perspective.

Then I became a proud member of the #MTBoS.  I still had my specific school, students, and coworkers, but I had more.  I had constant access to a community dedicated to math education.  Many of my views were challenged in a way that allowed me to actually wrestle with the ideas.  I began the quick process of changing my perspective.

My love for math education has allowed driven my perspective of math education to completely change.  And I love my new perspective of math education just as much as my first perspective.  Maybe I even love it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment