Monday, July 29, 2013

#Made4Math - Chair Pockets for ISN Supplies


This will be my first #Made4Math Monday post!  Yay!

As I plan to start Interactive Notebooks this year, I needed a good way to manage the tape, scissors, colored pencils, etc.  I don't have the best set-up (no tables) for the cute little table buckets of supplies that I've seen, so I tried to think of something else I could do.  I thought of chair pockets.  I have my desks in groups of 3 and I thought one pocket per group would be best, so I decided to set out to make some.

I have a sewing machine and basic sewing skills.  I like sewing because I see it as problem solving!  I don't like following patterns, but I do like trying to figure it out.  I was busting my brain, but then (once again) I remembered that this is the age of the internet, so I found some blogs that shared how to make chair pockets:


I set out to measuring my chairs:
To make sure the pocket would fit the chair
To make sure I didn't make it too long (silly, probably, but hey, why not?)
And then there was a lot of trial and error...but I now have one I can share, so here we go!

Through my trial and error, I determined I needed to start with fabric that was 19'' x 26''.  So here is my fabric.  Two pieces laid right sides together.  (Do you like my beautiful thrift store fabric :)

I pinned the two pieces together.  Here you can tell that there are two pieces!

 Then I started sewing.  The blog recommended three sides, then turn the correct way, but I always do 3 1/2, because I think it makes it easier to finish the fourth side if it has already been started.

 
This is about where I stopped, so from where the machine is to the end of this side will remain un-sewn, the rest is stitched together.
 Turning it right-side out it looks like this.  The edges need ironing at this point, so get to it!
 Now it's time to work on the part that still needs sewn.  I start were I left off and tuck in, ironing as I go.  The ironing hold it well, but use a few pins just in case.
 It should look like this now:
Sew it all the way across to close.  I think closer to the edge is better because you will make sure the thread grabs those edges you turned in.  Also important to go all the way across the edge so that your seam doesn't awkwardly stop half-way across.
 I even sewed across the other short end to have consistency.  Here it is now.
You are almost done!  Time to fold.  I wanted around 7'' for the chair, so I folded it, ironed it, and pinned it down.
Then flip it upside down and fold up the other end to wherever you want your pocket to go.  My cat tried to help, but you can still see that my folded part is now down.
 Fold, iron, and pin again.  I guess I didn't get a picture... But then you just sew along the "long" sides at one go.  At one point the pocket will be in the front, the next it will be in the back.  If you have it pinned it should work out OK.  Here's mine
Now I'm moving to the part where the pocket is on the backside.
And once you do that on both sides you are finished!  Ta-da! (This is in my house, NOT my classroom...)
I wanted to show you a picture of it in my classroom, since that is what I will be using them for.  Here is a pic of the pocket in use.  I sewed additional seams along the pocket so that I could organize my supplies better from left to right I have:  colored pencils; scissors and scratch paper notepads; tape and glue; whiteboard markers and erasers.  In the basket under the desk is a textbook and a little whiteboard.  Not sure if'I'll do that for sure, but it's an option.

That's all there is too it.  Now I just have to make 7 more!

-Kathryn

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this!!! You are much more crafty than I, so I don't think could pull this off, but major props! I ended up buying Home Depot aprons and tying them to the side of each desk. Haven't tried it out yet so I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! But it's really not that hard to sew :) Aprons are a clever idea. I think @beckyrahm uses book covers. Lots of ideas out there for you non-sewers!

    ReplyDelete